Pages

Monday 1 February 2010

Paper 2 Writing

1. You must answer this question. Write your answer in 120-150words in an appropriate style.

You have received an email from your English-speaking friend, Jennie, who is planning to visit your country. Read Jennie's email and the notes you have made. Then write an email to Jennie, using all your notes.

From: Jennie Stewart

Sent: 20th June 2008

Subject: visit to your country

Clara and I have decided to spend our holidays getting to know your country. We are coming in September. Will you be there*? It would be great if we could do something together. We want to visit many places, even if they are far from the capital. What's the best way to travel long distances without spending too much**? We'll have only three weeks because we have to be back for the start of term. Can you tell me what part of your country we should definitely see***? Finally, I would like to know more about accommodation we can afford. Are there any places where young people can stay cheaply****?

Love

Jennie

NOTES:

* No, because ...

** Suggest ...

*** Yes, say which and why

**** Yes, give details

Sample answer:

Dear Jennie

What great news! I would have loved to be here to see you, but I'll be on holiday myself in September. If had known, I would have gone on holiday in August.

Anyway, I can give you all the information you need, and I'll start with transport. In this country, if you don't want to spend a lot of money, it is best to travel by coach. Trains are very fast, but they are also more expensive.

If I were you, I'd definitely go to Scotland and see the Highlands. The scenery of mountains and lochs is fantastic. It will also be a good break if you are visiting lots of busy cities.

Your best chance of staying in places cheaply is to go to Youth Hostels, but remember it is a good idea to book early. There are also nice Guest Houses outside big cities.

Part 2
Write an answer to one of the questions (2, 3, 4 or 5) in this part. Choose the question you intend to answer by clicking on it. Write your answer in 120-180 words.

2. You have seen an announcement in an international magazine:

My Best Childhood Memory

Tell us about an unforgettable experience in your childhood and say why it is so important to you.

The best article will get a book prize.

Write your article.

Sample answer:

My best childhood memory

When I was very young I used to visit my grandfather every weekend and during the holidays. He used to read me lovely stories from a collection of books he himself had read when he was a child. I loved those stories because they were so different from the stories in television cartoons and the books had beautiful illustrations.

One day my grandfather phoned me and said that he had a really special story to read me. I couldn't wait for the weekend, and at last Saturday came and I went to his house. We sat down in the garden and he opened a big notebook and began to read the story. It was about a girl who was seven years old and was called Lisa, like me! My grandfather had written the story himself, and it was the most beautiful story I had ever heard.

I still have the story, and one day I shall read it to my own grandchildren.


3. You recently saw this notice on a website called Music Today:

Write a review for us!

Have you seen a live music performance recently? If so, could you write us a review? Include information about the musicians, the venue and the audience and say whether you'd recommend the performance to other people.

The best reviews will be published on the website.

Sample answer:

Marissa at the Dome

Fado is a Portuguese rhythm and nobody sings it like Marissa, who was simply marvellous last night. The concert was at the Dome theatre and all the tickets had been sold out months ago. The theatre was packed with people of all ages and Marissa didn't disappoint anyone. She sang songs from her new album but also some old favourites we were all hoping to hear.

It was wonderful to see her, in her long dress, moving to the rhythm of fado, apparently enjoying the experience as much as her audience was. The musicians who accompanied her, and who travel everywhere with her, were brilliant as well.

At the end she received a standing ovation and had to come back to sing again because the audience didn't want to let her go. She promised everyone that she would come back next year.
I recommend Marissa to all music lovers, even if they do not understand a word of Portuguese. Her voice is capable of transporting one to another world.

4. Your teacher has asked you to write a story for an international magazine. The story must begin with the following words:

When Paul heard a noise in the garden, he got up to look out of the window.

Write your story.

Sample answer:

When Paul heard a noise in the garden, he got up to look out of the window. It was getting dark and he couldn't see very well, but he stayed by the window. Soon he heard the same kind of noise again, perhaps a bit louder, and this time he was sure it was coming from the shed at the bottom of the garden. He decided to go and have a look.

He opened the kitchen door and walked slowly across the lawn, trying not to make any noise. What if it was a burglar waiting for it to get dark? What if the burglar pushed him down? The more he thought about it, the more frightened Paul got.

He opened the shed door a little, but he could not see anything. Suddenly, something pushed the door open with great force. A big cat ran past Paul and climbed up the nearest tree. Paul was shaking and smiling. The cat had managed to get in the shed through a crack, but had then been unable to find the way out.


5. Answer one of the following two questions based on your reading of one of these set books.

No comments:

Post a Comment